I think we can say we are in the dog days of summer at this point! We have had a couple of heat waves that took the starch right out of me anyway. One thing I like to do during this warm time of the year is to have salad for dinner. That keeps my kitchen nice and cool, and when I incorporate the use of my grill outside, the mess factor is reduced considerably. I used to think grilling was a man’s territory, but not any more!
Today I’d like to share a recipe I call Dog Days Chicken, that I think you will enjoy. The recipe is for a fantastic marinade for chicken which uses Marisolio Organic Freestone Chemlali Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and lots of lovely fresh lemon juice. The chicken is marinated for a day or so, then grilled. I like to cut up the finished chicken and add it to a big green salad and call it “Dinner”. This recipe has appeared on the Marisolio website under the name of Armenian Chicken Breasts, but don’t you think Dog Days Chicken is a more fun name?
Dog Days Chicken Marinade
- 1/2 cup Organic Freestone Chemlali Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup snipped parsley
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. chicken breast
- Mix all ingredients together (except chicken) thoroughly.
- Place rinsed and dried chicken in an 8 x 11-inch glass baking pan and pour marinade over all, coating everything well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- Drain meat and grill, basting with marinade until chicken is cooked through.
- NOTE: Serve leftover meat cold in a Caesar salad for a special treat.
- NOTE: Delicious also with chunks of lamb