June is Picnic month and the subject of Marisolio’s most recent newsletter. My husband and I used to love going to evening concerts in the park in the town where we lived, and this recipe was one that I often prepared and took along with us on our picnic.
Stuffed French Bread Picnic Sandwich
- 1 loaf (1 pound, about 20 inches) unsliced round French bread
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- Marisolio Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil slices
- Cut the top third off the loaf of bread; carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Set loaf aside, along with top.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms, onion and green pepper over medium heat in desired amount of Marisolio Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and oregano. Stir in the sausage mixture.
- Line the bottom bread shell with mozzarella slices; top with sausage mixture, then fresh basil leaves. Replace bread top; wrap in foil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
If you are taking this on a picnic, if you wrap the bread first in aluminum foil, then in a few sheets of newspaper or dish towels, it will stay warm for some time.
Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil is on sale at Marisolio all this month. Stop by the shop at 488 Main Street Murphys to pick some up. Otherwise, order on the website or by phone (209 728-8853).