If you are like most of us, you want to start off the New Year by eating more healthy foods. The first step is to clear out all the holiday cookies, candies and other treats from the pantry. The second step is to start compiling some healthy and delicious recipes to launch you on the path towards eating more nutritious foods. We would like to share a favorite snack recipe that is healthy, vegetarian, and vegan. You will never buy store bought hummus again after you try this easy and delicious home made version.
- one 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup Marisolio Milanese Gremolata olive oil
- 1/4 cup water, plus additional if needed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt, or more to taste
- In blender combine all ingredients (garbanzo beans, olive oil, water, lemon juice, tahini paste, garlic, and salt). Blend until smooth, if necessary stopping blender a few times and stirring mixture to help it blend smooth. If needed blend in one tablespoon of water or additional olive oil at a time to make the hummus creamy and smooth.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to overnight, allowing the flavors to marry. Hummus will keep for several days stored airtight in the refrigerator.
- Serve with assorted fresh vegetables (carrots, celery, radishes, broccoli, jicama).